Its hard to put into words how the last week has been for me. I have been one of the lucky teachers selected to be laid off because of the budget shortfall in Texas. Even though I have 7 years experience, the fact that I stayed home previously with my children and re-entered the classroom put me up on the chopping block. Thousands of teachers are being laid off, and the worst part is that many will have to change careers because the jobs are not expected to be reopened.
It was quite a blow to my ego and the way the layoffs were done were really insulting. However, I recently enrolled in a masters program at USC and have just completed my first semester. I also have a chance to stay home and be a mama to my twins before entering kindergarten next year. All of these positives are helping me to see this as a blessing....even if the way its happening is hard to swallow.
I have 7 weeks left of school. That is a long time to work knowing that all that waits at the end is a termination. I have lost the joy I had about going to school each day. I am ready to close the door on this chapter and start my summer!
Once June gets here I will happily take on the title of "stay at home mama" again. I am very excited to go full time in my grad school and expect to graduate in summer of 2012. Unless some opportunity falls in my lap, I will probably be applying to doctoral programs fall of 2012. There is a lot of opportunities out there and now I have the chance to chase my dreams!
No comments:
Post a Comment