For our summer vacation, the superfam went to Maui and stayed at the Grand Wailea Ho'oei villas. It was so much more than I expected. The hotel had 7 swimming pools, wonderful restaurants, and beautiful grounds. Additionally our villas [across the street from the hotel] had its own pool and our porch offered the most gorgeous views of Lanai, Molokai and Molokini. We were able to visit Lahaina 3 times and found a black sand beach by happenstance despite Tropical Storm Flossie's attempts to keep me from discovering them! Hana was closed due to the storm, and there was another black sand beach that was only 3 miles away, but it was closed too! On the way home the second to last day from Lahaina we pulled over to see if the sand was black because it appeared to be and lo and behold....black sand beach! It was awesome, but only Braelynn and Kaitlyn were able to see it with us. Brooke had gone back to the hotel with Sara and Justin. We were able to have a hurricane party and grill the most fabulous fish: Ono, Tuna, and Mahi Mahi. Mom and Dad ordered some wine from their trip to be delivered so we were able to drink well and eat well during the storm!
After the storm passed, the crew went Zip Lining. I stayed back with the kiddos and went to the pool. The guys loved ziplining. Sara and Mom were a bit apprehensive, but had a wonderful time flying through the trees. We then left the kiddos with Sara and went snorkeling while the guys went scuba diving. I have never snorkeled in open water and it was kinda scary. The water was still pretty choppy and I got a little queasy. The boat was beautiful to wait for the guys on and they offered the tastiest homemade ginger ale Ive ever had. We saw humu fish, turtles, and awesome coral structures. It was also the most gorgeous shades of blue I have ever seen in my life.
Matt and I celebrated our 12th anniversary at Humu's restaurant. We shared tuna sashimi and Hawaiian carpacio, then matt had tuna while I had ono in lobster sauce. They brought out a to die for dessert that had "Happy Anniversary" on it. It was a wonderful evening and the seats at the restaurant all have beautiful views of the ocean and sunset. It was quite romantic.
We ate at bubba gumps in Lahaina and Asiana [an awesome sushi place in Grand Wailea]. In Lahaina we went on a glass bottom boat with the kids so that they could feel like they went diving too. The boat looked like a yellow submarine and had windows that looked under water as the boat went from Lahaina Harbor to the reef and back. The sailors then became divers and brought critters up to the boat for everyone to see.
The best part about Hawaii has to be the beaches though. We spent tons of time in the water. The kids loved the water slides at the hotel, and Matt and I loved being in the ocean at as many beaches as we could go to. Maui is a gorgeous island, and I can't wait to get back to Hawaii again as soon as we get the chance!
No comments:
Post a Comment