Because David has been my dad’s best friend since Kindergarten, I literally can’t remember life without him. For anyone that has ever wished for a “Disney Dad” you would be jealous….the Wellen kids had 2! Dad and Dave love Disney and made many trips to both Disneyland and Disneyworld. It didn’t stop there though. They would take tips and ideas from the rides and create the most magnificent haunted houses I’ve ever seen. The two of them together were like creative mad geniuses. We were the only house on the block with a literal line to get in!
Their creativity collaboration went way further back than creating haunted houses though. They also created movies as kids. If you have never seen any of these movies you are really missing out. Dad and Dave were a yen and yang of movie/photography/music. They were so similar and yet so different. They moved on from making movies as kids to dabbling in videography. My wedding video they created is something I treasure and look back on. David’s photography skills are second to none. I am so fortunate to have had him photograph my wedding, with Laurel orchestrating all the best shots and helping it all flow. Many years ago, I made their wedding memorable too as their flower girl. I blame all goofiness on Dad and Dave because I have been their photo/movie guinea pig since day one. I have enjoyed being photographed all these years by David…you could probably line up all their pictures and watch me grow! From studio shots to candids to matching shirts by the waterwall he caught them all. Many people probably know him best as a photographer, and deservedly so. He could make anything into the perfect shot. He had a gift for capturing feeling and thoughts as they happen.
I have always thought of David as my Uncle. Yet he never called us niece or nephew. We were his weebelos. Being a weebelo meant having mac n cheese for dinner, hangin at Dave n Busters, going to the movies [and stuffing as much popcorn in our face as we could stand] and staying up late watching popeye the sailor vs Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. Habo Hassss-uhhhl! It also meant competition from his best companions Baron, Rosie, Lizzie, Tom, and that dog that always climbed the couch like it was a mountain. His love of animals even got my Dad [whose allergic to cats] to adopt Rosie’s sister Tina!
David also loved his sports teams and was active in our fantasy football league even this last season when he was sick. He was a great competitor and knew so much about football. It was so much fun going to Astros and Texans games together.
He was a great uncle to us Wellen kids and to his natural nieces and nephews but that doesn’t compare to the love you have for your own kids. David and Laurel have 6 beautiful girls for that. He loved you guys so much and will always be your guardian angel. My memories of him are filled with laughter and love. And although he is gone way too soon and I will miss him tremendously, I treasure these memories in my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment